Sunday, December 31, 2006

American Culture and Confucianism

On Saturday, December 30, the Metropolitan Opera broadcast a live production of the Magic Flute to movie theaters across America. The Cinemark theater in Plano called Tinseltown was, to my understanding, the only venue in the Dallas metroplex. Cinemark put the Magic Flute in on one screen and it sold out. Then they added a 2nd screen and sold that out. I was lucky to get tickets.

As I listened to Sarastro sing how knowledge and virtue would uplift humanity, I realized he was singing about Confucian ideas.

There is much in Western and American culuture that is compatible with Confucian culture. In my Yahoo group I have many Western examples of Confucian ideals. Robert Owen, for example, manifested Confucian ideals.

Confucianism will be the new wave in American culture.

Robert

No comments: